Many people think that bananas are just simple fruits. However, there are some interesting things that you don’t know about this kind of fruit.
Probably you already know that they are very beneficial for our health. Therefore, in today’s article the focus will be on some little-known facts about bananas. Most of them will probably shock you, so here they are.
- This fruit is naturally radioactive. Bananas emit particles of ionizing radiation. The reason for that is the potassium-40, a radioactive isotope of potassium.
- The original banana had seeds, which means that today’s banana didn’t appear naturally. In fact, this fruit was created by people 7,000 years ago. The bananas we eat today contain minuscule seeds, but they are not included in the reproduction process of the plant. Some people say that the original bananas with seeds grow in some parts of Southeast Asia.
- It was believed that this fruit brings bad luck when aboard on ship. There are some people who even ban sunscreens, clothing, and other products with bananas. So, when you go sailing, make sure you leave your bananas behind.
- This fruit doesn’t grow on trees so the term banana tree is not used. You’d better say banana herb or banana plant. What’s more, bananas are not fruitsbut berries. A cluster of bananas is called a hand, while only one is known as a finger.
- Banana is an excellent source of energy that improves your mood immediately. Banana is high in potassium which works as an electrolyte. Moreover, bananas contain serotonin, norepinephrine, and tryptophan – which are very helpful in the prevention of depression by calming you and improving your mood. Its vitamin B6 content helps improve sleep quality and protect against irritability and mood swings.
- Moreover, make sure you don’t throw away the banana peels. They can be used as a natural remedy for your pimples or even as a fertilizer for your plants.
- You may be surprised, but we have similar genetic traits with bananas. Apparently, this fruit shares about 60 percent of the same DNA as people.