Minor burns will damage only the epidermis (top layer) of the skin and makes the affected area red, swelling and painful. It is also called as superficial burns or first degree burns that were caused due to any contact with hot objects or fluids, sunburn, steam, electric shock, contact of any heated metal rod, firing up of the stove while cooking, etc.
Minor burns, if not treated on time, may develop into painful blisters. But in certain cases, these burns can be healed on their own. There are several natural remedies that minimize your pain and promote healing.
Home Remedies for Minor Burns:
The listed below are the best natural remedies that widely used to give relief from minor burns. Regular application will help to fade away the scars formed due to burns on the skin.
Remedy – 1: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has astringent, anti-inflammatory, skin soothing and tissue healing properties that heal burns by reducing pain and swelling along with repairing the damaged skin. It is also very effective in fading the scar formed due to burns.
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from an aloe leaf.
- Apply it directly on the burn and have mild gentle massage around the burnt area.
- Leave it like that and reapply it daily for several times a day till you get relief from the minor burns.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder (antibiotic and anti-inflammatory) and aloe vera gel. Apply this mix on the affected areas to get rid of redness and pain.
- Also, apply organic aloe vera juice on the affected area using a cotton ball.
- If you don’t have aloe vera handy, then apply a cream that contains aloe vera as the main ingredient.
Remedy – 2: (Raw Potato)
Potato has skin soothing property that helps to alleviate the pain and also reduces the chance of having blisters.
- Grate a raw potato and apply it on the affected areas.
- For best results, chill the potato and then grate it.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 30 minutes and wipe it off your skin gently.
- Repeat regularly till you get relief from the burns.
- Also, slice a raw potato and rub it on your burn but be sure that the slice should release potato juice while rubbing on that affected area (or) apply fresh potato juice on the affected area.
- Or use cucumber in the place of potato to get relief from pain and irritation.
Remedy – 3: (Black Tea Bags)
Black tea contains Tannic acid which helps to draw out the heat caused due to burns on the skin and reduces your pain.
- Place 3 – 4 black tea bags in a large jar filled with warm water.
- Let it steep for few minutes and leave for another few minutes to get cool down.
- Soak a clean cloth in this tea water and wring out to remove excess water.
- Place it on the burned area of the skin and repeat the same for few times daily.
Note: Or place wet, cold tea bags on the injured area for few minutes.
Remedy – 4: (Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice)
Coconut oil is a well-known remedy for treating burns. Coconut oil has a rich content of vitamin E and fatty acids like caprylic acid, lauric acid and myristic acid that exhibits antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti – inflammatory properties that cure your minor burns. Acidic properties in lemon juice help to lighten up the scars.
So, this combination is very effective in treating your burns along with fading scars on the skin.
- Mix few drops of fresh lemon juice in 2 – 3 teaspoons of organic coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply it on the affected areas.
- Let it sit for few minutes and wipe off gently using a wet cotton ball.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Click here to know more about Coconut Oil for Burns.
Remedy – 5: (Honey)
Honey has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties that heal your burns and reduces the chance of forming hypertrophic scars.
- Apply raw honey directly on the affected areas.
- Cover it with a gauze bandage gently.
- Let it sit for few minutes and replace the old bandage with a new one for 3 – 4 times daily.
- Or simply spread honey on a gauze bandage and place it on the burn.
Remedy – 6: (Vinegar)
The antiseptic and astringent properties of vinegar help to treat minor burns and prevent further damage caused to the skin. It has acetic acid, enzymes,and essential nutrients that relieve your pain, irritation, and discomfort.
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Use this mix to wash your burned area and soak a clean cloth in diluted vinegar mix.
- Then cover the affected area with that soaked cloth for few minutes.
- Repeat the process by replacing a new one for every 2 – 3 hours till you get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 7: (Plantain Leaves)
Plantain leaves is another age old effective remedy for treating burns. It has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that heal your burns.
- Crush few fresh plantain leaves to make it a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the burned areas of the skin.
- Cover it with a cotton cloth as a poultice.
- Continue applying poultice when the plantain dries out for few times daily.
Remedy – 8: (Lavender Essential Oil)
Lavender oil has antiseptic and pain relieving properties which heal the skin burned areas and also prevent the formation of scars on the skin.
- Pour 5 – 7 drops of lavender oil in 2 cups of water and stir well.
- Dip a clean cloth in this lavender water and use it as your compress on the affected area for several times.
- Continue the same process until you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Also, mix few drops of lavender oil in 2 teaspoons of raw honey. Spread it on the skin burn areas for 3 – 4 times a day.
Remedy – 9: (Onion Juice)
Onion has sulfur compounds and quercetin that relieves your pain, heals the burn and thus reduces the chance of forming into blisters.
- Chop a fresh onion and blend it to extract its juice.
- Apply this juice on the skin burnt areas and leave it like that.
- Be sure to use freshly cut onions why because the onions will lose their medicinal properties after few minutes.
- Do the same process regularly for several times daily.
Remedy – 10: (Oatmeal)
Oats has skin soothing properties that reduce your pain and inflammation caused by the burns. It also relieves you from itching and other irritations.
- Mix 1 cup of oats in your bath water and stir well.
- Soak in this water for about 20 – 30 minutes to soothe the irritated skin.
- Air dry the affected skin and repeat the oatmeal soaks for few times a day to get relief from itching and irritation.
Tips and Precautions:
- Run cold water over the burnt skin area for several minutes immediately after the skin being burned. Also, apply a cold compress on the burnt skin for few times in a day to get relief from the pain and discomfort.
- Never ever place ice directly on the skin, as it restricts your blood flow which in turn causes certain damage to the delicate tissues.
- Apply some white toothpaste (not colored or gel toothpaste) on the affected area and also avoid applying some oils, petroleum jelly, butter or egg whites on the burns, as it traps the heat instead of drawing it out.
- Never ever break the blisters (wound develops after some time), as it increases the infection and slows down the healing process.
- Don’t use adhesive dressings on the wound and also prevent tanning or re-injuring the affected areas.
- Apply vanilla extract onto the burned skin using a cotton ball will help to heal the burns with its cool or soothing property. Regular application will alleviate pain and irritation.
- Milk has fat and proteins that soothe your burned skin and promotes healing. So, soak the burnt skin in milk for 15 – 20 minutes to get quick relief. Also, use yogurt or rosewater or mustard on the skin burned areas.
- Consume vitamins C & E rich foods or supplements to heal the burn. Vitamin C promotes faster healing of the wounds and enhances the production of collagen. Vitamin E has an antioxidant property that repair and protect your skin. Also, apply oil from capsules directly on the burns to heal it and to prevent scarring.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the burn or its pain for immediate treatment.