Okay, folks. I have a good one for you today! This recipe is sure to please your entire family, no matter their age, as well as the friends that you share it with.
Make this for your kids for dinner tonight, bring this to your girlfriend who just had a baby, or share it with your congregation at the church potluck. I promise, they will all be eternally grateful!
The special ingredient is layered slices of this fresh mozzarella, which makes the dish creamy and delicious.
The bits of Italian sausage dispersed throughout don’t hurt either.
This is one of those dinners that freezes well, so feel free to prepare it in advance and just keep it on hand for those nights when you need a quick fix. My recipe makes one large dish of pasta to serve about 8, or you can do what I do and divide it between two smaller baking dishes. Eat one now and freeze the other for later. Perfection!
Italian Sausage Pasta Bake
- 1 lb. dry rigatoni pasta
- 3 cups (or 1 large jar) marinara sauce
- 2 Tablespoons half-and-half
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 ounces diced mushrooms
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet sauté sausage, bell pepper, and mushrooms until sausage is no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet.
- Add cooked pasta, marinara sauce, half-and-half, and Parmesan to skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of the mozzarella slices on top.
- Add another layer of pasta and a final layer of mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 degrees F, uncovered, for about 30-40 minutes or until warmed through and cheese is melted.